The Cabin

The Cabin

Monday, December 19, 2011

Log Cabin Wood Shop - Nifty New Work Bench

The past few days were spent constructing the bases for my center work bench/table and lathe base. The center work bench top is 54" x 64" x 2-1/4" maple and weighs a ton. Good thing I put it on casters so I can move it around. It is interestingly reminiscent of Darryl and Cathy's kitchen center island. I also mounted two wood vises.
Next tasks will be to make a base to hold the table saw along with a router table. Both will end up being flush with the new work top so I can saw larger sheets of plywood, using the work top as the outfeed.









The lathe base is made from 6x6 fir posts. I may need to add some sand ballast to weigh it down which helps when doing the initial rough cut of out-of-round chunks of wood.



1 comment:

  1. Free Woodworking Books: PDF Download (50 Plans+440 Page Guide)
    Plus tons of tips, techniques, videos and guides for woodworkers ..
    http://clickmeterlink.com/TheArtofWoodworking

    ReplyDelete