The Cabin

The Cabin

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Gazeboblog - Episode 3 (Stonehenge West)

Today I finished the six pillars for the gazebo. So each pillar is made up of (12) 8"x16"x8" "CMU's" (Concrete Masonry Unit).  They are sitting on 5" thick 2' square footings which were buried 2' under ground. The pillars extend 3' above the ground. In addition to being mortared together, two of the four holes are filled with concrete and rebar. These puppies are stout. 



I also built a form for the pillar caps and did my first test cap. I looked into buying these caps at a masonry company, but they wanted $70 each for them. The caps are 22" square and have a 12" square spot for the log to sit on, and then they slope down slightly to drain off rain. I added a bit of brown color and plan to make them exposed aggregate style (more on this later). We'll see how it goes later tonight when I remove the form.

No comments:

Post a Comment